Sunday, November 21, 2010

China: The Second Email

9:36 AM CST on Tuesday, Sept. 14th, 10:36 PM HKT on Tuesday, Sept 14th Hello!!! Today we went to two factories, one new and one that we are currently using. The first factory was very clean and pretty small, however they do huge volume. They are making the fold out couch that is on Target’s end cap right now. This is also the factory that made some of the dining chairs I designed. They do both wood furniture and upholstery. The second factory was Dangwing. This is the factory that makes our our accent chairs. It was bigger than the first and had more of what I expected (numerous sewing machine lines, huge wood shop, etc.). It wasn’t as clean as the first, and definitely not as nice. But, neither factory was anything like I expected. I pictured huge factories with thousands of employees working right next to each other, with long assembly lines...a NIKE sweatshop. These were not as big, much cleaner and more spread out, 400 employees max. Thank God. The scenery is different than I imagined as well. China is very green with lots of small mountains. From the highway, the countryside is prettier and less polluted. I guess today was a “good day” in regards to pollution because you could see blue sky. Apparently this is rare (maybe happens 10 days a year). Usually it is a hazy brown. While the landscape is nice to look at, there are electrical lines and metal towers EVERYWHERE – on top of mountains, across the highways, next to buildings, everywhere. As you get closer to the factories, you can tell the cities are crowded and pretty dirty. All the local stores look like they sell the same stuff. I’m sure they don’t, but I can’t read Chinese. Hopefully I will get to go in some stores in Dongguang or ShenZhen for the experience. And, of course, to buy some stuff with Chinese writing on it (souvenirs!!). As for driving, I am pretty sure there are no set laws to obey. Each lane appears to have a different speed limit and I think you are supposed to flash your lights whenever you pass someone. Every 10 miles or so, there is a stalled truck in the middle lane. This seems to be the norm, people just swerve around it. Everyone cuts everyone off. I often brace myself for impact, and the inevitable accident I will be involved in. I try to distract myself by reading the traffic signs that have been translated into English. My two favorites so far are “Many Accidents Happen That Neighborhood” and “Rear End Collisions, Keep Safe Behind.” Bikes are allowed on the highways. They are probably the most popular form of transportation here. You can either bike with traffic, or against it. Most bikes are used to haul crap from one place to another. They are equipped with umbrellas too. To paint you a picture, there will be people biking the wrong way down the highway, with huge loads of who-knows-what strapped to the back of their bike, all the while using a colorful umbrella to shade themselves. It is quite the spectacle. Food – eh. Breakfast was really good, the options were endless at the hotel. Dinner was a different story. I thought I might have to starve. All I know is that the chicken comes served with bones in it and the shrimp comes fully intact with a head, shell and feet. Once I got over the look of the shrimp, it actually turned out to be pretty good – very spicy. I also ate fried celery and black fungus (yum!), tofu with fish (ew), pork stuffed egg plant, and wontons. I was really excited for the wontons but there was no cream cheese inside, just shrimp. Where is Lee Ann Chin when I need her? It’s gift giving season here, so when we leave the factories, we find gifts in the trunk. The first factory gave us huge papayas . I was then informed that “Papaya is good for digestion, makes it easier.” So, I’ll add that to my grocery list when I get home. Love you guys! Have a good Tuesday! Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment