Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It Feels Like Home To Me

As I deboarded the plane in North Carolina this morning, the song Feels Like Home by Chantal Kreviazuk (who?) immediately popped into my head. Over the past two years, I've spent close to 3 months in High Point, NC. Between the furniture markets and the fabric shows, High Point has definitely become my home away from home. The second I get off the plane, a huge smile appears on my face. I know I am going to see one of two things, either a group of good ol' southern boys, with popped collars, engaging in a conversation I cannot translate, or an ocersized woman dressed in some ridiculous get-up. Today was no disappointed. I was greeted by the sight of a woman dressed in a fluorescent pink glitter top and sequined blue jeans, wearing bright lime green cowboy hat. Nope, it doesn't get any better than this.
Our drive from the Raleigh airport to High Point is always quite peaceful. There is something comforting about driving down tree-lined highways speckled with Waffle Houses and Biscuitvilles. We always stop to load up on greasy food before we hit the showroom. Today, we stopped for cheeseburgers and onion rings. The only beverage offered was sweet tea, but as usual, I could stomach the thought.
As we arrive in High Point and walk to our showroom, we see a handful of locals we've come to know. Conversations usually start with "well I heard from my neighbor, who's also my cousin that..." or "it's down right awful but Dorothy Sue said..." And, of course, I find myself responding with a soft southern accent of my own. "Dorothy Sue said what? You outta be kiddin me." It's then that I realize, ahh yes, I'm Home Sweet Home.
Join me in the chorus, will you? It feels like home to me, It feels like home to me. It feels like I'm all the way back where I come from. It feels like hoome to me, it feels like hoooome to meeee. It feels like I'm allll the waaay back where I beeelonnnnngg!

No comments:

Post a Comment